Friday, January 28, 2011

Do You Make this Parenting Mistake?

I don't want him mad at me," whines one mom about disciplining her son.

"Why do you care?" I ask.

"Because I want him to love me."

This parent confuses anger with lack of love.

Fact One: any normal, self-respecting kid is going to occasionally be upset at his parent. Think of it from his point of view, "this big person is thwarting my personal agenda!"

Fact Two: the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. An angry child still loves you!

Fact Three: if you back down when your kid is mad at you, you've made anger a powerful manipulation tool. Believe me, he'll pull out and use that tool all the time.

Parenting isn't a popularity game. When you discipline your child, be prepared for some resistance. If he gets mad, remain calm, and say, "I still love you." Eventually your child will come back around . . . in respect and obedience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get your hour of empowerment every Tuesday morning 10-11 am (EST) on The Parent's Plate radio show with me as your host. Exciting guests, hot topics, news, and practical parenting tips await you. If you miss a live show, come back later and click on its podcast. All past shows are available on podcast and iTunes.

No comments: