Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who Rules, Emotions or You?

Raising kids is fierce work!

I get so mad at my son I want to wring his neck.

Brenda, I find myself reacting rather than disciplining.

Raising kids is a challenging 24/7 job with no reviews or raises. But, it's one we won't be laid off from either, right? The above statements are ones I hear frequently in my speaking and writing to parent audiences.

When my kids were young and emotions ran high, there were times I responded from my exhasterated heart rather than from my head. Honestly, it felt like a pressure valve release when I raised my voice. But later, my head told me that wasn't the type discipline I wanted to show my kids.

In your daily discipline, try to take a step back and chill for a second when exhausted or annoyed. Then approach your child's difficult behavior and calmly correct it. Not only will you confront and correct the inappropriate behavior you will model inner-control when under pressure. Don't let emotions rule you.

Want more discipline help? Get "Creative Discipline" on CD. You'll hear me give a live presentation, complete with audience questions and my answers. Order the "Creative Discipline" CD now by mailing your $12 check or money order to me at: PO Box 1302, Mount Vernon, OH 43050. Help is on the way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember, your hour of empowerment is Tuesday morning, 10-11 am (EST) on The Parent's Plate radio show with me, your host! Great guests, parenting insights, tips, and casual chat make this a powerful and vaulable hour.

No comments: