Saturday, June 18, 2011

What's Your Discipline Attitude?

If you've read my blog, you know my position and recommendations on discipline. Here are some questions to think about in daily discipline. Ask yourself:

____ Do I remember that discipline is about teaching appropriate behavior?

____ In a situation, am I focused on correcting behavior or venting my frustration?

____ What would I look like if I saw myself in a mirror while disciplining?

____ Do I speak to my child (or children I'm teaching) with respect?

____ When using consequences, do I insure the consequence fits the "crime"?

____ Am I kind and firm? Kindness refers to tone of voice; firmness refers to follow-through.

____ If I use active Time-Out, do I watch my child rather than the clock?

____ Do I use Time-In (touching, winking, smiles, eye contact) to reinforce desirable behavior?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get an hour of empowerment Tuesday 10-11 am (EST) / 7-8 am (PST) on The Parent's Plate radio show with me, your host.

No comments: