Sunday, August 7, 2011

Top 10 Tips for Effective Discipline


If you know me, you've probably heard me say, "the parent is the child's expert" and I encourage Moms and Dad everywhere to "trust your gut" in childrearing situations. As a mom, I trust my instincts yet I gather ideas from many sources - fellow parents and professionals and books. After all, no one person can know it all, right?
Today I share from Dr. Vicki Panaccione, who prefers to be called, "Dr. Vicki" The Parenting Professor. Here are her Top 10 Tips for Effective Discipline:
  1. Set realistic expectations
  2. Clearly define limits
  3. Set a good example
  4. Hold your children accountable
  5. Use reasonable consequences
  6. Follow through
  7. Be consistent
  8. Reward desirable behaviors
  9. Use humor, flexibility and creativity
  10. Pick your battles
These are reasonable and I agree. How about you? You may want to print out this Top 10 list and put on your refrigerator as a reminder. To read more about Dr. Vicki and these tips go to www.BetterParentingInstitute.com.

No comments: