Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Parenting with Cancer

Can you imagine? Heather, mom to Lily, emailed me with an amazing announcement. She used her tragic diagnosis to help others and, is an over comer. I thought other parents would want to read about (or act on) Heather's victory:

I was diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer and given 15 months to live just 3 ½ months after giving birth to my only child, Lily. Although my prognosis was grim, I knew I had to do everything I could to beat this rare and deadly cancer for Lily. During my battle, my parents took care of Lily while I underwent chemotherapy and radiation, as I could not provide her with the stability she needed. When I finally returned home, I spent as much time as I possibly could with her. Whether it was going for walks outside or just sitting together, I made it a point to show her how much I love her. Eight years have gone by and I still cherish every moment spent with my daughter. Because of my battle with mesothelioma, Lily understand the value of life and how blessed my husband and I are to have her in our lives.

This year for Mesothelioma Awareness Day (September 26), I’ve created a campaign to help raise awareness. To participate, I’m simply asking people to give their voice to the victims of mesothelioma by donating your social status. 

Parents, I know many of you blog. How about helping Heather and others? 

If you have a "parenting with cancer" story, please share it below in my comments.

No comments: