Friday, January 21, 2011

Protein for Tantrums

I keep food in my car's glove-box. This practice started when my daughters were very young. There were many times we'd be out on the road, at a garage sale, waiting in line at the bank, or some other errand and they'd get hungry. As a new mom I quickly learned if my daughters became more cantankerous than usual, they were probably starved.

To ease their hunger, I'd pick some food item from the glove-box for them to munch on. Not only did it keep their little mouths occupied - giving me brief peace - but it soon improved their behavior.

When kids are hungry, a brain chemical triggers aggressive, contrary behavior. Nutrition solves the problem. Today, I know that protein staves off hunger since it metabolizes slower and stays longer in the body.

Want fewer - or less intense - tantrums? Try a little protein. Trail mix, peanuts, soy beans, and low-cal protein bars are easy to store in your car and might give you a more peaceful ride. Now that's smart discipline!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't miss your hour of empowerment every Tuesday morning, 10-11 am (EST) on The Parent's Plate radio show. Great guests, hot topics, practical parenting are all waiting for you! If you must miss the live show, click on its podcast located at the right side of my host page.

1 comment:

Mila Browning said...

Great blog I eenjoyed reading