Friday, July 1, 2011

Have Fun with Negative Behavior

Happy July 1. Can't believe this summer is flying by so quickly. Here's something I was thinking about the other day.

My daughter Laura went through a stage where she’d pitifully whine that she was thirsty – as we were racing down a busy freeway with no visible exits. All my reasoning and pleading for her to be patient did little good. She continued in that annoying broken-record whiny voice, “Mom, I’m thirsty!”

After talking with a counselor friend of mine about Laura’s penchant for nagging me about something I couldn’t easily remedy, he suggested using humor to make my point.
“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Say something ridiculous to help her see the irrationality of her request,” he replied.
The next time my darling daughter and I were buckled in and cruising the freeway at top speed, she began her fingernail-down-the chalkboard voice, “I’m thirsty.”
I replied, “I’ll stop right here and pick a bottle of water off that bush.”
“Huh?” she asked in a suddenly mature voice.
“I can’t ease your thirst this very moment, Laura. You’re asking something impossible and I’m giving you an equally impossible solution.”

“Oh.”

This week when you’re confronting a discipline situation, try a little silliness to make your point. It might ease misbehavior and create a more pleasant climate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join me and exciting guests every Tuesday morning for an hour of empowerment on The Parent's Plate show.

No comments: