Thursday, December 1, 2011

So What Do You Do?


Since discipline is about teaching; I want to share some of the ways parents and others teach kids about Christmas. I invited readers to send me an email sharing how they celebrate. Below are some of those wonderful emails received;


Christine, a Discovery Toys consultant, shared, "My family starts our celebrations with a skating party on December 24th. My sister and her husband rent a rink and we all go for the fun! Then we go to my parents and visit for the afternoon, open our gifts, have dinner, and attend a Christmas eve service at our Church. We then come back to my house to play games and visit some more."

Simone in Australia wrote, "We have a lovely tradition we do Christmas Eve. We live on a small acreage and have numerous animals, but we do have a donkey and so Christmas Eve at dusk we all go out to our 'stable' where our donkey is tethered, my dolly when I was 6 is wrapped in beige pillowcases and we all listen on a tape the story of 'The Small One', about the donkey's purpose at Christmas time. It is quite magical."

Carrie emailed from New Jersey, "Our annual Christmas Eve service and buffet after is always special. Our son who is in the Marines is able to come home and be with us this year, so we are excited to have him there. Then on Christmas Morning we will all be at our house for a special breakfast complete with fruit salad, scrambled eggs, sausage, and my homemade cinnamon rolls. Then we open gifts, visit, play games, call relatives and enjoy the day together. In the afternoon we have dinner with our dear friends and partners in ministry."

Avery in Oklahoma is just starting her "teaching" as she said, "What do we do for Christmas? Typically we go to my aunt's house for a huge family gathering. This year we will add one more to the group, my newborn (and first born) Abigail!"

Thanks to those who emailed with your Christmas celebration traditions. Good teaching - or should I say good discipline?! See, discipline can be a positive thing!

FYI, The Birth to Five Book is available at Amazon + you can order signed copies from me (if you like author autographs) by sending $12/book to me at: P.O. Box 1302, Mount Vernon, OH 43050. As soon as I receive your order/payment I'll sign & send you my book. (US orders only, no international sales at this price.) The Birth to Five Book makes an impressive & useful baby shower gift!

Finally, follow my work & life in 140 characters at
http://www.twitter.com/BrendaNixon.

No comments: