Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Principles of Discipline

"I can't stand this kid."
"He always fights me."
"I'll break her will!"

Have you heard any of these statements from other parents? I have. When I hear this I know the parent has a "me-against-you" discipline mentality. What a counterproductive attitude. Disciplining kids is not a competition, but a commitment. One principle of positive, effective discipline is to:

Work with your child instead of against him.


Do that by being aware of his
- age level
- physical development, understanding, attention span
- needs
- preferences
- mood
- fatigue level

When you take these things into consideration, your discipline is age-appropriate and fosters a mutual respect.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join me every Tuesday morning for an hour of empowerment on The Parent's Plate radio show www.toginet.com/shows/theparentsplate.

No comments: