Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reasons for Misbehavior

“Why is he acting like that?”
“I don’t know what’s wrong!”
“What her problem?”

I frequently hear these questions in my work with parents. There are many reasons a child misbehaves. That’s what makes parenting so complex and perplexing.

When your kid acts-up, ask yourself, “What does my child need?” Perhaps her emotional tank is empty. She may simply need your full attention, confidence, support, or unconditional love.

When my daughters were young and we’d have one of “those” days, I found that 15 minutes of uninterrupted, one-on-one time with each, soothed and helped them feel more confident. The result? Better behavior.

Are your kids restless, over-stimulated, tired, hungry, lonely, angry, or living without boundaries? It’s a challenge to figure out why they do what they do. However, I encourage you to look behind the behavior and see if you can solve the “real” problem. That, too, is skillful discipline!

What's your comment?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get your hour of empowerment every Tuesday morning on The Parent's Plate radio show
www.toginet.com/shows/theparentsplate

No comments: